Tuesday 17 June 2008

Metal Gear Solid 4: First Impressions

I'm reviewing this game for Den of Geek this week - so be sure to look out for the review when it goes online.

Anyway, I got home tonight and I've been playing on the game for an hour or so and, so far, I'm pretty impressed.

It does get off to an odd start, but you're thrust into the action pretty soon. It's incredibly cinematic, switching from intricate, gorgeously animated cut-scenes to gameplay without missing a beat. However, there's been plenty of controversy about various aspects of MGS4 - namely the cut-scenes and the installation - that have generated plenty of heat on forums.

I think fussing about the installation is a little bit silly. People seem to complain that it's not in the spirit of consoles etc, but I think they're fussing over nothing. Set the game installing and watch TV for 10 minutes; then come back, it's done, and you're ready to go. It's only got to install once and, as far as I can see, it's a miniscule price to pay for one of the most cinematic and, as far as I can tell, effecting experiences of the millennium so far.

The cut-scene issue is, in my mind, less clear-cut. I've only played for around an hour, but there's an awful lot of narrative exposition and an awful lot of cut-scene. There's no doubt that these parts of the game are splendid: full of film-quality, well, everything. However, from what I've seen of the game so far, it's just as good. It leaves me wanting to play more, rather than playing in short, tense spurts in between the plot.

Time will tell. Look out for my review soon!

No comments: