Tuesday 26 June 2007

Rest In Peace?

Watching Sky Sports News this morning, the reporter started talking.

'WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit has been found..'

This isn't good, I thought. Sky Sports News never reports on wrestlers unless it's something serious. So what could it be?

In Breach of contract? In possession of drugs?

'...dead in his Atlanta home with the bodies of his wife and seven year old son, Daniel'.

Damn.

I've watched him perform for years, and I've never seen him deliver a bad match. From those who know him, he was the consummate professional, always giving his all in the ring and around the arenas he graced, worldwide. This entry was going to be about how I'm not sure I can see him in the same light now that it's come out that he, allegedly, killed his wife on saturday, his son sunday and himself yesterday after taking several days off to deal with a 'family emergency'. Now, however, I read that they can't rule out murder and haven't confirmed anything yet.

So, I don't want to pass judgement on someone whose risked his body and life entertaining me for so many years.

R.I.P. Chris Benoit, 1967 - 2007.

-------------------------------

I wrote the preceding text yesterday, after I'd just heard the news about the Benoit deaths on TV and the events hadn't been confirmed and, as I wrote, didn't want to conclude and judge what'd happened before the fuller story began to emerge.

So, the man is a murderer. A lot of my own, and millions of other people's memories of the man's professional life, as a performer and entertainer, have been tarnished almost certainly beyond repair. It's almost a shame.

I wish I could say the following about Chris Benoit, too, but I can't bring myself to do it.

R.I.P. Nancy and Daniel Benoit.

1 comment:

C. said...

It was surprising, specially because of the "special circumstances". Bad.

Have a nice week ;)